Advanced Anatomy & Physiology of the Honey Bee
The online version of our Advanced Anatomy and Physiology of the Honey Bee will explore in detail the anatomy and physiology of the honey bee.
- Identify and examine distinct parts of external and internal honey bee anatomy (e.g., ocelli, body segmentation, corbicula, etc.)
- Identify and examine bodily systems of honey bees (circulatory, digestive, nervous, respiratory, reproductive and glandular)
- Compare different body parts between different honey bee castes
- Learn to identify various physiological functions of specific parts of honey bee anatomy
- Review the basic biology of the honey bee
Knowledge covered in this online course over the Zoom platform will benefit exam candidates at Journey Level of the California Master Beekeeper Program.
As this course is online, you are encouraged to, but not required to, practice your microscopy and dissecting skills at home. You can purchase tools from Amazon or beekeeping suppliers. Here is a list of what is provided when the course is offered in-person at the Bee Lab:
- Fine-tipped Forceps
- Feather Weight Forceps
- Insect Pins
- Petri Dishes (wax or silguard bottoms)