Participants will have the opportunity to learn about and practice multiple methods for queen rearing. We will go through a step-by-step process for queen rearing via grafting including setting up cell builders and mating nucs. At the end of the course participants will be able to check their grafting success and local participants can can take queen cells, resulting from their grafting exercises, back to their apiaries. The participants will also learn techniques for assessing Varroa loads in colonies and for evaluating hygienic behavior.
- Honey bee queen biology
- Basics of selective honey bee breeding programs
- Various queen rearing techniques
- Testing for hygienic behavior
- Assessing Varroa mite levels
- This class is split into two days.
- Lunch is provided on both days.
- We provide instrumental insemination rigs, however if you have your own feel free to bring it.